Monday, August 10, 2009

Organizer's blog digest: back-to-school

I don't have kids, yet. I don't live with any school-aged kids, and even though I always get that rush of anticipation and possibilities every time I step into a Staples and smell the perfume of binders and pencils, I haven't prepared for a school year in a long time. Also, the second week of August has barely started and I refuse to believe that summer is transitioning into fall, and the school year, so quickly. But apparently it is for many families, so here's a round-up of some great back-to-school advice, tips and organizational know-how for those of you who might need it:
It's good to be back! blogger Melissa Searcy writes about how best to organize your child's closet in preparation for back to school, but the advice is great year-round. So easy to forget that if they can't easily reach the bar, they won't be able to hang up their clothes!

Always-inspiring Aby at Creative Organizing Blog gives some great tips on setting up an organized homework station. Having the right tools might not help homework get finished, but it will help it get started!

Monica Ricci has seven awesome tips for back to school season on her blog Your Life. Organized. As a child I always laid out my next day's clothes before I went to bed...maybe it was sign of my future profession?

As far as school supplies go, Organizing Solutions "Clear the Clutter" has the brilliant idea of checking to see what you have before you go out and buy new. Aby posts about too-cute lunchbox notes, both store bought and homemade.

Finally, here's a breakdown of how to plan your time in the weeks leading up to the first day of school from Shaina at Food for My Family via Mandi at Organizing Your Way. Best tip: start getting your child into the bedtime and wake up schedule that they'll need to be on once school starts a few days early so they will be ready.

Hope this information will help ease your transition from summer to school!


Lelah Baker-Rabe is a Los Angeles-based professional organizer. To discuss your organizing needs, call her at 818.269.6671 or email lelah@lelahwithanh.com

No comments:

Post a Comment