Americans are a can-do bunch. We’re independent, hard working and some of us embrace a Do It Yourself attitude about everything. I think it’s great if you want to make your own jam or end tables and change your car’s oil all by yourself. There’s a lot to be said for taking care of things yourself instead of hiring them out. Then again, there are times when hiring an expert is not only called for—it’s smarter than trying to do it yourself (e.g. complicated taxes, a brake job, surgery).
When it comes to getting organized, a lot of people think they can do it themselves. And a lot of them can. If you have a good attitude, some time and maybe a friend or family member to help you, you can make your space more livable by getting rid of stuff you don’t need and finding homes for everything that’s left. However, there are certain times when it’s important to call in an expert. Here are some examples.
- You’re dealing with an estate or a lot of inherited objects from a recently deceased relative. Going through someone you love’s possessions is trying under the best of circumstances. If you are also trying to prepare a house for sale or deal with a complicated will or a lot of other family members’ interests, getting a professional to organize the details and to help you decide what to keep and what to get rid of can be invaluable.
- You are ready to get organized but other people in your household are not. Sometimes having an impartial third party on the scene can make a difficult family situation easier to deal with. Since no two people approach organizing the exact same way, you can be in for a lot of negotiating when a lot of family members all want a say in how things are organized. A professional can help by offering options and a neutral point of view.
- Sometimes you just don’t have anyone else that can help. Going back to the spirit of DIY, some people don’t want to impose on a friend or family member to help them get their lives in order, or don’t have anyone to impose on. Hiring someone gets the job done faster, with a minimum of fuss and there’s less tendency for you and your cousin to start reminiscing over every item that comes out of the attic.
- You’re on a deadline. You’re moving in two weeks and haven’t started packing. Your lease on the storage unit is up and you don’t want to renew it for another year, so you have to find homes for everything inside fast. You’ve got a dozen people coming over for Thanksgiving dinner, but you still have newspapers from last November cluttering your dining room table. There are a lot of situations where it pays to hire a professional to get things done quickly.
- You want it done right. Even disorganized people can be perfectionists. You might be someone who believes in doing something right or not at all, which is one of the reasons you are drowning in paper and objects. Even though there is no one “right” way to organize, hiring someone with professional know-how to bring experience and specialized techniques to your space will make feel confident about the changes you are making.
There are hundreds of other logical reasons for hiring a professional organizer. One important one is that sometimes we feel overwhelmed by our circumstances. The simple of act of sharing our burdens and problems with someone else makes us feel a great deal better. By sharing an organizing or clutter problem with me you can get instant suggestions and a path to change. You’ll love the feeling of empowerment that taking control gives you. Bringing in an expert might be just the thing you need to empower yourself, rather than just doing it yourself!
If you are in Los Angeles or Ventura County and looking for a professional organizer visit my website at http://www.lelahwithanh.com