Thursday, July 22, 2010

Tips and Tools: Car organization

We spend so much time in our cars! In the August issue of Real Simple magazine, they turn their attention to cleaning out a car to make it almost like new. Cleaning your car is as necessary as an oil change from time to time, but the best way to keep your car organized is extremely simple:

Don't leave stuff in your car. 

When you get home, take everything inside (and put it away).

Right now I know exactly what's in my car: the essential stuff in my glove compartment, my Thomas Guide, quarters for meters and some CDs. There are also emergency supplies stowed away with the spare tire under the trunk. There are no empty water bottles, trash, food, hairbrushes, sweaters or even grocery bags. If I bring that stuff into my car, I take it out after the return trip.


This is a little bit harder to manage with kids, I know, but it's a worthy goal. Much easier to keep your valuable car interior clean and serene with no stuff in it.

Make it your new rule, and feel the lightness of a perpetually clean car.

Creative Commons photo posted to Flickr by krisandapril

Lelah Baker-Rabe is a Los Angeles-based professional organizer. To discuss your organizing needs, call her at 818.269.6671 or email lelah@lelahwithanh.com

No comments:

Post a Comment