Monday, August 27, 2012

Greener light bulbs

Have you switched out incandescent bulbs in your home for LEDs or CFLs? There was an interesting piece in the LA Times, which says most people who use the newer, greener types of bulbs prefer CFLs to LEDs mainly because of price even though LEDs have better light quality. I have some CFLs in my home, mostly in lamps as there are some sockets in my old apartment that don't work with CFLs, unfortunately.


I've been kicking around the idea of have a one-word theme to my year next year, a la Gretchen Rubin. I think that word might be green.

Creative Commons photo posted to Flickr by Joe Goldberg

2 comments:

  1. I have a number of CFLs - although I still have some incandescents, too - and I plan to replace them with LEDs. I don't like the fact that CFLs contain mercury, so it's a problem if one drops and breaks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, broken CFLs can be a real problem. Apparently, you aren't supposed to vacuum them up because the mercury makes that dangerous. LEDs do seem like a better option, especially once the price goes down. Thanks for commenting, Jeri!

      Delete