Saturday, December 19, 2009

My resolutions

The two biggest keys to making and accomplishing one's resolutions are specificity and accountability. The more specific you are about what you want to do, the easier it will be to name the steps needed to fulfill the resolution and the easier it will be to see if you've succeeded. Accountability speaks for itself. If you tell other people your resolution (such as writing a 50,000 word novel in 30 days), you'll have a support system encouraging you to keep on the path to your goal, and you'll have the satisfaction of being able to show those people that you did it! So, in the interest of accountability, here is a recap of my 2009 resolutions and how I did with them, and a partial list of 2010 ones.

My 2009 resolutions were:
  • Go camping
  • Seek alternate headache treatments
  • Sell a piece of writing
  • Visit Griffith Park, Griffith Observatory and the LA Zoo
How did I do?
  • did not go camping, mainly because I don’t have a tent. But I realize that’s not a great reason, as I could have bought or borrowed one. I think I’m going to have to go with Gretchen Rubin and take this one off of my list, since this is the second consecutive year on there. As soon as I take it off, perhaps a way to do it will appear.
  • I suffer from biweekly migraines. They have lessened in intensity this year because of some alternate treatments, mainly strong doses of black tea. The caffeine seems to help, but they haven’t gone away completely. I think that counts, though.
  •  I did not sell a piece of writing. At the beginning of the year I thought I might start making my living from writing. Instead, I started my professional organizing business and have been writing as a creative project. Both choices have been great for my life. So I’m content with not having achieved this one as my priorites shifted and I accomplished so much more.
  • I did go to Griffith Park and Griffith Observatory and while I didn’t go into the zoo, I parked in the parking lot there to do the LADWP Festival of Lights, so that counts, sort of.



My 2010 resolutions are:

  • Refresh my apartment by de-cluttering and rearranging the space (even professionals have to make a point to do this once in while)
  • Learn about and use more of the features of my digital camera and look into editing the images in some kind of effects program
  • Revise a piece of writing to a point where I'd let other people besides my sister read it
  • Buy more produce from the farmer's market and less from Ralphs
Of course, I've got a ton of other little and big things on my 2010 to do list, at this point mostly things I want to do to promote and expand my business and things involving my upcoming wedding. The beauty of ushering out an old year and beginning a new one is that it truly feels like anything is possible. Even if we plan out the year and what we want to get done in it, there are still surprises along the way, and we may end up in a place in December that we couldn't have imagined in January. What are some of your resolutions?

Lelah Baker-Rabe is a Los Angeles-based professional organizer. To discuss your organizing needs, call her at 818.269.6671 or email lelah@lelahwithanh.com

2 comments:

  1. I resolve to
    - eat dinner soon after I get home more often by pre-cooking whole grains, making baked dishes, and even chopping some vegetables in preparation for the week ahead on Sundays (or failing that, Mondays!)
    - make Fridays (one of my days off) feel more like weekends by making lunch plans and not necessarily doing chores
    - read at least 3 good books per season and note them in my book journal
    - research buying a home
    - plan our wedding
    - wake up at 8:30 to exercise for 30-45 minutes 3 mornings a week
    - buy at least 2 new outfits per season. (I hate shopping.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, those are great resolutions. I like the idea of not doing chores on your weekend days!

    ReplyDelete