Thursday, July 9, 2009

Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to read it

I'm getting back in the swing of things at home and with my business after almost three weeks of traveling. Having a break from the normal routine always helps me gain perspective about my life and what is important to me. When I got back, I was thankful that I'd taken the time to clean my house thoroughly before I left, including laundry and refrigerator, so that even though I returned home with a suitcase full of dirty clothes I had some clean ones in the closet and even though I had to go out and buy the essentials almost immediately, my refrigerator wasn't moldering with food gone bad.

I had a lot of great organizing moments during the trip that I look forward to sharing with you. While I'm getting my photos organized and settling back in, I wanted to share one quick insight. I follow lots of blogs through Google Reader, and in my "organizing" folder I follow 79 blogs alone! I love reading what other professional organizers are writing about (and share some of them with you in my Friday Blog Digest feature), but after twenty days of not scanning the feeds, I had over 500 to-be-read items waiting for me. Though I'd like to be able to go back and read them all, I forced myself to scan just today's and yesterday's. I'm using the genius "mark all as read" feature to give myself a clean slate. I know I don't have time to read all of those 500 posts, and I'm not going to put extra pressure on myself to do it anyway. It's amazing that I have all of that information at my fingertips, but sometimes its worth remembering that just because we have access to so much, we don't have to actually access it.

Lelah Baker-Rabe is a Los Angeles-based professional organizer. To discuss your organizing needs, call her at 818.269.6671 or email lelah@lelahwithanh.com

No comments:

Post a Comment